While the heat wave continues I am continuing on my no-cooking strike! It’s been way too hot to turn on my oven and I have no desire to “bake!” That’s where these little No-Bake Double Chocolate Brownie Bites come into play! All you need are wholesome superfood ingredients and a cuisinart, simple enough and you don’t need to heat up the kitchen! These may be the easiest brownie recipe around…not to mention the healthiest!
No refined sugars, no processed ingredients, gluten free and plentiful in healthy fats, fiber and antioxidants! They are a healthy way to satisfy that sweet tooth! Made with dates, walnuts, cacao, coconut oil and a little pure maple syrup…5 ingredients, that’s it!
I talk a lot about the benefits of cacao and coconut oil, but did you know walnuts are also a superfood?
Here’s the breakdown:
-A great source of plant-based protein, healthy fats and fiber
-Promising studies show they improve heart health by lowering cholesterol
-Help stabilize blood sugar and improve type II diabetes
-High antioxidant content to lower risk of cancer
-Contain anti inflammatory compounds
The dates I used were pretty fresh and ooey gooey…if yours are not, soak in warm water for 10 minutes first! If you don’t have raw cacao powder (found in Whole Foods, vitacost.com or most health food stores) you can use cocoa powder, however you’ll be missing out on a lot of antioxidants!
- For the Brownies:
- 1½ cups walnuts
- 10-12 dates, pitted
- ⅓ cup raw cacao
- For the Frosting:
- ¼ cup coconut oil (melted)
- ½ cup raw cacao
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Line a 5x9 loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place walnuts, dates and ⅓ cup raw cacao in a food processor. Pulse until well combined and crumbly.
- Transfer to lined loaf pan and press down evenly with fingers.
- Meanwhile, whisk together melted coconut oil, ½ cup raw cacao and maple syrup. Pour on top of brownies.
- Place in refrigerator until frosting has hardened. Slice into 18 pieces and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator.
They also got the stamp of approval from the family…big ones and little ones