I’ve seen so many variations of Halloween Bark floating around Pinterest these days. They look beautiful, but are all loaded with artificial coloring and chemicals. Here is my healthier take on it, Boo Bark!
I found the eyes and natural food coloring at whole foods. I melted coconut butter and coconut oil together to create something similar to white chocolate. It gave the bark a nice coconutty flavor! I added brown rice crisps, dried cranberries and walnuts for texture, but feel free to add any of your favorite healthy snacks! Pistachios, sunflower seeds, dried apple pieces, peanuts or dried kiwi would all work well! Try this adorable recipe for Vegan Googly Eyes from Fork & Beans!
- 1 bag dark chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life)
- ¼ cup coconut butter
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- a few drops of all-natural orange food coloring
- dried cranberries
- brown rice crisp cereal
- naturally colored green sprinkles
- monster eyes (optional!)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using a double boiler melt chocolate. Spread evenly onto parchment paper.
- Meanwhile, melt coconut butter and coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Add all-natural food coloring. Drizzle on chocolate and use a knife to swirl.
- Top with goodies of your choice such as walnuts, dried cranberries, brown rice crisps, sprinkles and monster eyes!
- Place in a cool place to harden. Once set, cut into squares and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator.