Rice Crispy Treats were hands down my favorite dessert growing up.
I had that quintessential 80’s childhood. Many weekends were spent watching My Little Ponies, Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, GEM and the Holograms and making “fresh” baked pillsbury cinnamon buns and of course, rice crispy treats! I have so many memories of my sister making them in our avocado green kitchen with orange linoleum floors. I loved helping her dump the whole box of sugary puffed white rice into a large bowl of melted butter and marshmallows.
My healthier recreation brought back all those memories, without the sugar rush! Chia seeds and sesame seeds were added for an extra boost of nutrients. The cacao drizzle is totally optional, but highly recommended! This might be a bold statement, but these are my favorite sweet creation thus far!
- 4 cups brown rice crisps cereal (I used One Degree Veganic Sprouted Brown Rice Crisps)
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- ⅔ cup natural creamy peanut butter
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper and set aside. (I used an 11x7 dish)
- In a large bowl, combine rice crisps cereal, sesame seeds and chia seeds.
- Over low heat, gently melt and combine peanut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup,vanilla and sea salt.
- Pour peanut butter mixture over brown rice mixture and stir until well combined.
- Transfer to lined baking dish and press down firmly. Option: Drizzle with cacao sauce or melted chocolate.
- Place in freezer until set. Once set, slice using a large knife. Cut into small squares and store in an air-tight container in refrigerator or freezer. (store in freezer if you plan on packing in a lunch box to prevent getting too sticky!)
- To Make Cacao Sauce: Whisk together 4 tablespoons of melted coconut oil, 3 tablespoons of cacao powder, 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup and a pinch of sea salt.