Finishing a whole bowl of ice cream never felt so good!
So delicious you will never know it’s made from bananas and avocados! Avocados power up the nutrition in this dessert and gives it that beautiful green hue!
Add a few drops of mint extract, chocolate chips and voila…Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!
Perfect for a St. Patrick’s day treat!
For an easier time blending, it’s important to peel and slice the bananas before freezing. I used canned coconut milk to create a super rich texture, but you can use regular coconut milk, soy milk or almond milk. Blend the bananas and coconut milk first then added the avocados, maple syrup and mint extract. Fold in the chocolate chips, pour into an air-tight container such as a pyrex dish and place into the freezer to harden. Personally, I like it just as much (or more!) straight out of the blender! But, for the photo’s sake we froze it to look more like traditional ice cream.
As if things couldn’t get any better add a generous drizzle of raw cacao sauce! Not only does it taste absolutely amazing but, cacao adds a healthy dose of polyphenols to support heart health and decrease inflammation. Since running out of my cacao supply from Costa Rica I have been buying Nativas brand from vitacost.com. Which, by the way is my new favorite website!
To Make Cacao Sauce: Whisk together 4 tablespoons of melted coconut oil, 3 tablespoons of cacao powder, 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup and a pinch of sea salt.
- 2 bananas (peeled, sliced and frozen)
- ½ cup canned coconut milk (or milk of your choice)
- ½ avocado
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon mint extract
- ⅓ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Add frozen bananas and coconut milk to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Add avocado, maple syrup and mint extract. Blend again until creamy.
- Pour into a container and fold in chocolate chips.
- Place into the freezer for 3-4 hours or until set.
- Scoop and Enjoy!
Have a happy Friday and a safe St. Patrick’s Day weekend!